The Coronado National Forest (CNF) seeks public input on a recreation fee proposal. Over 99 percent of CNF lands (approximately 1.7 million acres) offer free recreational use for visitors, and this will not change regardless of future recreation management decisions.
Public engagement activities will occur in the coming months to receive input from partners, tribes and the public regarding the fee proposal. Public meetings are currently scheduled as follows:
- SOUTH TUCSON: Jan. 22, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.; Saturday, Feb. 17, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. at Mission Public Library, 3370 S. Mission Road
- ORO VALLEY: Saturday, Jan. 27, 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.; Monday, Feb. 5, 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at Oro Valley Public Library, 1305 W. Naranja Drive
- CENTRAL TUCSON: Saturday, Feb. 3, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.; Wednesday, Feb. 14, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Himmel Park Library, 1035 N. Treat Avenue
- NORTH TUCSON: Saturday, Feb. 10, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.; Wednesday, Feb. 28, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. at Sabino Canyon Visitor Center, 5700 N. Sabino Canyon Road
- VAIL: Monday, Feb. 12, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Rincon Valley Fire Station #1, 8850 S. Camino Loma Alta
- EAST TUCSON: Saturday, Feb. 24, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Murphy Wilmot Library, 530 N. Wilmot Road
- MARANA: Monday, Feb. 26, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wheeler Taft Abbett Sr. Library, 7800 N. Schisler Drive
- ORACLE: Saturday, March 13, noon to 2 p.m. Oracle Community Center, 685 E. American Avenue
The fee proposal applies only to Forest Service-operated developed recreation sites such as picnic areas, campgrounds, and group sites. Day-use sites are proposed to change from $5 to $8 per day. The Coronado Annual Pass is proposed to change from $20 to $40. Campground fees are proposed to change from $10 to $20. Group sites (both picnic and camping) are proposed at a $50 flat fee, plus $10 per vehicle per day.
The fee proposal also includes adding fees at 23 day-use sites, five campgrounds, and seven group sites, as follows:
Day Use Sites: Bigelow Trailhead, Brown Canyon Ranch, Butterfly Trailhead, Carr Canyon Picnic Area and Trailhead, Cunningham Trailhead, Gordon Hirabayashi Interpretive Site and trailhead, Herb Martyr Trailhead, Kentucky Camp, Noon Creek Picnic Area, Parker Canyon Lake Fishing and Boating Site (and nature trail), Pena Blanca Lake Fishing and Boating Site, Red Rock Picnic Area, Reef Townsite Mining Interpretive Trail, Reef Trailhead, Riggs Lake Fishing and Boating Site, Round-the-Mountain Trailhead, Rucker…