CLOVIS, Calif. (KFSN) —
Two Clovis schools are expected to be back open Tuesday after administrators shut them down because a student brought liquid mercury onto campus.
Related: Clovis East, Reyburn Intermediate closed Friday after mercury exposure
Both Reyburn and adjacent Clovis East High School closed for the day after the student brought a bottle to school.
Cleanup crews worked all day Friday at Reyburn Intermediate School in Clovis.
Related: Clovis East, Reyburn Intermediate closed Friday after mercury exposure http://abc30.com/clovis-east-reyburn-intermediate-closed-friday-after-mercury-exposure/2932708/
Mercury is classified as a hazardous substance, but it’s mostly the vapor that causes health problems and it evaporates very slowly, so it’s not likely any children suffered serious ill effects.
Members of the Environmental Protection Agency were called to the campus Saturday to assist in evaluating the extent of the contamination at the school.
Several students and staff members reported coming into contact with the mercury and they’re working with Fresno County public health officials to make sure they are not affected from the contact.
(Copyright ©2018 KFSN-TV. All Rights Reserved.)