NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A welding torch sparked a fireplace and evacuation at a Brooklyn synagogue on Tuesday.
It occurred at Bnai Adath Kol Beth Yisrael on Patchen Ave in Mattress Stuy.
“We had staff engaged on the roof, a fireplace began, it received inside the inside of this spiritual construction, home of worship,” Deputy Chief Devin Wooden stated.
The synagogue is centuries previous and serves an lively congregation. The 2-alarm blaze appears to have unfold from the roof the place work was being achieved.
Firefighters have been pressured to evacuate the constructing, however not earlier than recovering the Torahs which weren’t broken.
Congregation member Kalila informed 1010 WINS’ Juliet Papa that they’ve discovered refuge.
“Yeah we will go to our neighboring synagogue on Willoby, Beth Shalom. So we’ve got a spot the place we will worship, thank god,” she stated.
And she or he stated they may rebuild.
Police have been questioning a repairman who was engaged on the roof utilizing a blowtorch, no arrests have been made.